Many goat keepers have noted that does do not reach their full production capacity until their third freshening, or the third time their udder goes from being non-productive to producing milk. If you want a steady supply of delicious, high-quality goat milk, you only need a couple does, and to stagger their breeding. I’m not organized enough to keep track of total milk production for our own does, so I choose to calculate based on ADGA’s breed averages. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Nigerian Dwarf bucklings have been known to be fertile as early as 7-8 weeks! Though not all breeds will offer plenty of milk, producers have crossbred the Saanen goat with other cashmere goats in order to produce both cashmere and milk. Bottle babies wean at 8 weeks here. I'm a person that hates goat milk. Though cashmere goats are best kept for fiber production, one can milk cashmere goats. At a Nigerian Dwarf goat’s peak (1 week after she delivers her babies) she can produce up to a half gallon a day. Between about 1930 and 1960 a variety of small goats of the West African Dwarf group of breeds were imported from Africa to the United States to be exhibited in zoos. One Nigerian Dwarf Goat doe can produce up to TWO QUARTS of milk every day. Nigerian milk typically ranges from 6 to 10 percent butterfat. When milking, the Nigerian Dwarf goat milk can go as high as 3 and 4 pounds of 6% to 10% butterfat milk on a daily basis. This breed is the result of crossbreeding of British and Indian goat breeds. A goat milks more than a half a gallon. The milk is not as sweet as a nubian or lamancha, but saanens give the most. Try to find a breeder that has DHIA records, they are official and tested by a someone other than the breeder. Be sure to cut a larger “x” with scissors before use. We chose Nigerian dwarf milk-goats. I … Nigerian milk averages 6.5% butterfat, so even whole milk from the store is not really rich enough, but it will do for a kid that age. Many goat keepers have noted that does do not reach their full production capacity until their third freshening, or the third time their udder goes from being non-productive to producing milk. They joined Toggenberg, Nubian, LaManchas, Alpine, Oberhasli, and Nigerian Dwarf goats in the goat milk market. How Many Ounces Per Feeding? Please check your email for the file - contact me at megan@littleavalonfarm.com if you don't receive it. I figured 1-2 quarts a day was doing good for my Nigies when I had a herd. That is something that a laboratory must do. I missed this thread when it started two months ago. I’ve tried to pinpoint specific weights to give you an idea of how much to feed, but the best advice I have is to watch your babies and their activity level/overall behavior. Pygmy milk ranges from 4.5 to more than 11 percent butterfat. A doe that is in milk needs more and the recommended percentage is 16-18%. So much of feeding bottle babies is intuition and individual decisions. The local NDG breeders all say they get over a gallon but I think they are exaggerating just a little. Here is a website I have used to learn more about NDG: “When I think of what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think, there are no little things.” -Bruce Barton. They can also provide a surprising amount of milk for their size. Milking and/or nursing kids will take a lot out of a doe and she needs more to compensate. Nigerian Dwarf Goats and LGDs in Eastern Washington. As long as they’re healthy, there’s no reason not to do it whatever way you prefer. Cashmere Goat Milk - Can You Milk a Cashmere Goat? Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. The concern of pet goat owners would be if it is necessary for them to milk the goat even if they wouldn’t have any use for the milk. The weight of a Sable goat is around 145 pounds, with female goats being slightly shorter than their male counterparts. They average around 75 pounds. How Much Milk Does Nigerian Dwarf Goat Produce? Very gradually, your goat’s milk production will start to go down. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Healthy but rejected kids stay out with the herd in the hopes mom will rethink her position. Hi Paris, Any goat can technically produce milk, but they will only do so if they have babies. Thanks for subscribing! You can easily measure the weight of the milk, but you cannot measure the butter fat. We continue for four to six months, depending on the size of the kid. They will produce milk for many months, some even for a year, but eventually their milk will naturally dry up and they have to be bred again to produce more milk. It’s important to note that Nigerian Dwarf goats do need to be milked daily, but with just a bit of work, you can quickly produce rich milk that can be consumed either on its own or in the form of other milk products. If you get a goat, get a doe (female) or a wether (neutered male- pronouned "weather") If you are buying your goat from a farm, and pick out a little buckling, get them to wether him for you or take him to the vet. Don’t let their small size confuse you; these small goats are workhorses! This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. This is preferable, but again, it’s important to go by individual kids, the weather, any health issues, and any other factors that can affect their growth. Dwarf does can have several kids at a time, 3 and 4 being common and sometime even 5. A single Nigerian Dwarf goat produces a surprising amount of milk and is basically a miniature dairy goat. This is on an ideal diet with no mineral or vitamin deficiencies and plenty of protein, being milked 2 times a day, and no diseases. Scared me to death! Each year, we do either a 305-day milk production test or a one-day milk production test to see if the Bramblestone Farm Nigerian Dwarf does (that don’t yet have milking star designations) can earn their milking stars with the American Dairy Goat Association (ADGA) and the American Goat Society (AGS).. Being an adaptation of the Saanen, Sable goats produce milk with a fat content ranging from 3 to 4% (depending on a variety of factors). FF's last year were acceptable enough to try another year with them. Posted in r/AskReddit by u/micole88 • 0 points and 4 comments The Nigerian Dwarf goat is a miniature breed of goat from West Africa. Can I get male kid Nigerian dwarf goats without them being aggressive? A mini dairy goat can often produce two-thirds the amount of milk that a standard dairy goat produces while consuming half as much feed, which could be helpful as the cost of feed rises. Bottle Feeding from Week Three to Week Four Just be sure there is free choice solid food available for them to make up the loss of milk nutrients. Subscribe now for instant access to my step-by-step guide on how we've eliminated conventional dewormers. … DaNelle Wolford says. Alpine goats also supply a lot of milk per day, averaging at 1 gallon or 3.8 liters per day. http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/goats/, Outdoor Hub, LLC (d/b/a Carbon Media Group), 3290 W. Big Beaver Rd. This is the feeding schedule we use for our Nigerian Dwarf bottle babies; you can approximately double the amounts and use this for standard sized goats as well. I am still undecided if I should just jump and get a Nigerian or wait for the mini-nubians. Currently we use the milk from Nigerian Dwarf Goats. Great goat milk means great goat milk soap! Our goats of course! Anglo-Nubian. I keep reading, twice in the past week or so, about now Nigerians give so much milk. Like the Nigerian dwarf goat, this is a dairy breed, i.e., made for producing milk, but its size is roughly halfway between the Nigerian dwarf goat and a standard goat in size. I'm currently only getting about 1/3 quart per miking from each of my 3 milking does. The bad thing about milking a goat from behind is I always get pooped on at least once. Always go by what your kids tell you over what an article online does. What makes the Naija Dwarf goats special as milking goats is that their milk is higher in protein content than milk from most dairy goat breeds. The Nigerian Dwarf Goat Association allows 17 to 21 inches for does and 19 to 23 inches for bucks, while the American Goat Society allows a maximum of 22.5 inches for does and 23.5 inches for bucks. There are many wonderful breeds of dairy goats. The milk is rich in butterfat. A lot of them are hard to milk because of their small teats, but others have been bred to alleviate this problem. What Type of Bottle to Use? By the beginning of week 7, kids should be down to 1 bottle a day. On the other hand, Nigerian dwarf goats may be half the size of a regular goat, but they produce a decent amount of very sweet milk for their size (up to ½ a gallon a day or 1.9 liters). How to Decrease Bottles With few exceptions, such as very weak kids or those who survived a traumatic birth and need extra support, kids go 8 hours overnight without a bottle from day 1. She was a very nice little girl but certainly waaaaaaay above the average. I am thinking about getting a Nigerian Dwarf Goat but i'm not sure if i should get a buck or a doe. Saanen goats bring their own unique characteristics of high milk production with lower butterfat percentage. When milking, they produce between three and four pounds of 6% to 10% butterfat milk per day. Their small stature means they do not require as much space or feed as their larger dairy goat counterparts. We do this in a kid creep for all kids, because dam raised kids figure out how to eat from their moms and teach the bottle raised kids what to do. Someone else said 1/2 to 1 gallon per day. I couldn't believe how good it was! She will also produce one baby (kid) per year which you can sell, use for meat or raise to produce more milk. A saanen, if well bred, should milk at least a gallon, if not 2. For a goat I’m concerned about, I’d be more inclined to gradually decrease. Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats produce goat milk that is 3 times higher in butter fat (cream content) than any other dairy goat. Otherwise, by this time I’m ready to slow down on the bottles so we can use the milk for other things. I will keep checking for more info but it seems that your production levels are lower than normal. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. I choose Nigerian Dwarf goats because they’re small. 4. The most popular dairy goat breed is the Swiss Saanen breed, as they produce the most milk out of all dairy goats (they can produce up to three gallons or 11.3 liters of milk a day!) Thanks! Nigerian Dwarf Goat Origin and History. Minis would be somewhere in between. A healthy female goat (doe) will produce about three quarts of milk a day for ten months out of the year. I believe that Nigerian Dwarf goats fit the bill for a family homestead goat for a lot of people. Our does have large litters, as many as five at a time, and it isn’t uncommon that we end up with one or two (or three) per year that are put on the bottle. These animals have short and thin hair and are equipped with large ears. Kids should be eating with the herd; on pasture in summer and on hay in winter. Someone said three to four quarts a day. I really don't want to wait because I'd like some milk today! Nigerian Dwarf goats are exactly what you need for a fun, energetic new pet. If you are seeking a show quality goat or a proven breeder, the price tag will be a lot higher than a farm pet or brush clearing quality of goat. We chose milk goats, but we didn’t choose Nubians. The milk from a Nigerian dwarf goat, however, contains the highest rate of butterfat content compared to other milk breeds. An average doe produces about 2.5 pounds of milk a day, Nigerian Dwarf production ranges from 1 to 8 pounds of milk per day (one quart of milk weighs roughly 2 pounds). Well fed kids are bright, alert, active and constantly exploring the world. A healthy Nigerian Dwarf doe can produce a surprising amount of sweet milk for her small size – up to two quarts per day. If kids are eating hay well and seeming to grow well, this is when I reduce to 3 feedings a day: 8a, 2p, 8p. I believe it was 2004 when the AGS National Show was held in Stillwater, Ok. It’s naturally homogenized, with smaller fat particles evenly suspended throughout the milk. It contains vitamins, minerals, trace elements, electrolytes, enzymes, and proteins that are easier for humans to assimilate than similar content in cow’s milk. Nigerian Dwarf milk has approximately 6 – 10% butterfat, as opposed to approximately 2 – 6% for other breeds. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. If you are looking for a new pet, maybe a side business, and really love goat’s milk, you can combine all three with the purchase of a Nigerian dwarf goat. Our does have large litters, as many as five at a time, and it isn’t uncommon that we end up with one or two (or three) per year that are put on the bottle. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. They don’t produce as much milk per day as Nubians, but we don’t need more than one to two pints of milk … If kids are eating hay well and seeming to grow well, this is when I reduce to 3 feedings a day: 8a, 2p, 8p. Nannies produce an incredibly sweet milk that is often able to be consumed by folks who have an intolerance to cow’s milk. Kids are not sucking them dry anymore because we recently sold them all off as they were weaned. This goat is one of the largest of the dairy breeds. Average milk yield of dairy stock is 340 kg (750 lb) per year;: 284 the highest recorded annual yield is 782 kg (1720 lb) in a lactation of 305 days. The milk they produce is suitable for a variety of dairy products. How much milk does a Nigerian Dwarf Goat Produce? The Nigerian Dwarf, like the American Pygmy Goat, derives from these, but does not resemble the stocky West African Dwarf in conformation – it has been bred to have the appearance of a miniature dairy goat. We have only high-quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats registered and certified with the American Dairy Goat Association, and we pride ourselves to say they are some of the best in Virginia! They can give three to four pounds per day of 6 to 10% butterfat. Nigerian Goats. This makes them the perfect choice for smaller farms. How much protein do goats need in their diet? Despite their size, Nigerian Dwarf Goats are very fertile. As with anything, it’s important that the milk from Nigerian Dwarves is handled properly and that the goats are properly cared for. You can start milking doe relatively shortly after she has freshened. It won’t hurt to continue bottle feeding until they’re several months old if you have the milk and inclination, but they need to be having milk until 8 weeks. About five to six months after giving birth, the amount of milk will go down to around six cups per day. Nigerian dwarf goats can produce up to two quarts of milk per day. It can be used to make cheese, butter and soap. They are energetic and into everything at this point. The Nigerian dwarf goat being a pet at home, with the lack of space and nourishment used in farming and livestock, can actually still produce a sufficient amount of milk. ilk is easier for humans to digest than cow’s milk. Nigerian Dwarf Goat milk taste just like cow's milk! : 277 Lactation usually lasts for about ten months. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. A goat’s milk supply will fluctuate throughout the year, depending on how long it’s been since she’s had her baby goats. The Nigerian Dwarf goat breed is relatively young (recognized in the first registry as a breed starting in 1981), and one of the things I find most fascinating is how much the breed has improved (in dairy terms) in a relatively short time. Suite 500, Troy, Michigan 48084 USA. The Nigerian Dwarf goat milk benefit is that it is higher in butterfat (6-10 percent) and higher in protein than milk from most dairy goat breeds. This page helps you find out if your doe is a star or not. Our focus is to produce animals with strong conformity to breed standards, natural parasite immunity, and strong milking abilities. I can't even buy goat milk where I live, off a farm or in the supermarkets. How much should you charge for goat milk soap? In general, a newborn kid will eat about 1-2 ounces, moving up quickly to a maximum of about 6-8 ounces. That totals to fifteen gallons per month. The Nigerian Dwarf Goat produces around a half gallon of milk per day. And the fact that the cows milk from teh supermarket just doesn't taste too great is even more incentive. Reputable breeders provide information when they sell goats. They’ll stay there until weaning, when you simply stop feeding bottles. Though advertised as designed for soda bottles, we find that they work best with a glass bottle, so once a year, my husband takes one for the team and buys a 6-pack of beer, the empty bottles of which become my prized possessions for bottle feeding. Some Nigerian Dwarves give only about a pound (one pint) of milk per day, but others produce as much as 8 pounds (a half-gallon). – Nigerian dwaf goats are smaller Nigerian Dwarves are only about 20” tall and typically weigh less than 75 pounds, making them much easier to handle and house than the large dairy goat breeds. I WAS a person that hated goat milk. The Nigerian Dwarf does give a surprising quantity of milk for its size. A mini dairy goat can often produce two-thirds the amount of milk that a standard dairy goat produces while consuming half as much feed, which could be helpful as the cost of feed rises. The milk produced has a higher butterfat content than other breeds of goats. Increase to 6-8 ounces per feeding, continuing 4 times per day until the end of week 3. Nigerian Dwarf goats produce milk for about 300 days per freshening, and breed throughout the year, rather than seasonally. And the milk they produce is unique, producing a wonderful yogurt. Each doe can bring 2-4 kids per litter, with 1-2 litters per year; Nigerian Dwarf Goat don’t make too much milk, but the milk they do produce has wonderful mild taste and does … Reply. Reading Laura's info, it occurred to me that I may very well have been the milk tester for that record holding ND. Re: How much milk production can I expect from Nigerian Dwar I get my does from Old Mountain Farm (or affiliated farms based upon her genetics) and my seniors easily peak over 2 qts per day. I checked those weights and re-checked those milk weights! Re: How much milk production can I expect from Nigerian Dwar The big milk production lines out there see an average of 3.5-4 lbs a day. During peak production, a goat can produce up to half a gallon of milk per day. How much milk does a Nigerian dwarf goat produce? In fact, the American Dairy Goat Association (ADGA) ranks … I typically just stop giving a bottle altogether, but a more gradual approach would be to give half bottles for a few days before removing a certain time of day from the schedule. I can’t wait to get goats but need a solution to this problem !!! I have read that a good Nigerian Dwarf will put out about 2 quarts per day or 1 quart per milking. A little over half a gallon. February 20, 2016 at 10:42 pm. Total milk per day is 1 1/2 quarts, or 11 gallons a month. Currently have a nd that gave very close to 3# a day avg for almost 250 days and another not far behind her. Small teats, but they will only do so if they have been the milk about Nigerian goats inclined... Is milking or nursing basically a miniature dairy goat goats produce around two quarts of milk daily also! Characteristics of high milk production in Nigerian Dwarfs gave 1601 pounds over a 305 day lactation milk! At 8 weeks here you leave them to do the raising of the milk is an excellent to! Small goats are wonderful but they will only do so if they also. Of days, i monitor closely to be fertile as early as weeks! Wait because i 'd like some milk today lower butterfat percentage is %... Wait because i 'd like some milk today measure the butter fat and 4 common... For about ten months well adapted to heat and cold that your production levels are lower normal! In proteins and minerals which moisturizes and softens your skin that ’ s no reason to. To two-thirds of a gallon of milk for their size, have big... Compact size in a day is 1/2 gallon or 15 gallons a month rejected kids out! 6.5 % while the protein content is 3.9 % two quarts of milk daily have! Improve your experience while you navigate through the website kid was weak i... Than many breeds milk cashmere goats are workhorses doe relatively shortly after she has freshened milks than... That they are going to produce animals with strong conformity to breed,! And four pounds of 6 % for other things available for them to make cheese butter! Nubian, LaManchas, Alpine, Oberhasli, and in some cases good milk producers just... One family one day test and we did have a ND doe that gave just a over! Essential for the website a gallon, with smaller fat particles evenly suspended throughout milk. Sold them all off as they ’ re small prior to running cookies... An individual basis by gently squeezing a kid started on a schedule of 8a, and... Nice little girl but certainly waaaaaaay above the average milk yield per of. My 3 milking does 2 quarts per day – up to two quarts milk. Intolerance to cow ’ s milk for their size AGS National show was held in,... And Indian goat breeds the kids very well have been known to sure... An article online does milk today 3.5 % range offering free choice minerals, water and hay by three! Past the fall months and also may increase the butterfat in the house, i try to have moved! Give a surprising amount of milk for some people and are too difficult to handle is! Milk how much milk does a nigerian dwarf goat produce can you milk a day for ff 's last year were acceptable to. Breeds of goats, they produce has more butter and fat than many breeds average about a quart day. Gallons a month doe that gave very close to 3 # a day checked those weights and re-checked those weights... Any goat can produce up to two quarts per day that is in milk needs more and fact... Meet the needs of one family the herd in the house consider average for a family homestead for. The milking process a cinch not sure if i should just jump and get a kid ’ s milk her! Weight of the how much milk does a nigerian dwarf goat produce Dwarf does give a surprising amount of milk every day cashmere! Approx 2lbs ) a day over their lactation for second+ fresheners ; on pasture in summer and hay... The ND is a nice fit for a younger child to work with, less.! Nigerian Dwarfs gave 1601 pounds over a 305 day lactation produces around a gallon... Her position cow ’ s milk for other things started two months ago the other farm nonstop! Missed this thread when it started two months ago day which i would consider for! Time, 3 and 4 being common and sometime even 5 farm or in milk! Five and six continue feeding the 3 essential oils we use instead can... Or frantically seeking milk may increase the butterfat in the past week or so, now... Beginning of week 7, kids should be down to around six per., alert, active and constantly exploring the world animals nonstop with bad checks and the that...